20 June 2011

Little EntrepreNurse's Infancy to Childhood

As a Nursing graduate, I would like to share my childhood experiences relatively to what I learned from my course. It isn't easy to recall everything but doing this I believe will help some parents to deal with their children's behavior and understand their personalities  more.
According to Erik Erickson and Sigmund Freud, people undergo several stages which determine their personality and behavior later on. I will tell you further regarding those stages as I go along with my story.
                                                                                                                                               
ORAL STAGE - from birth to 12 months
           - wherein the infant's "mouth" causes gratification to the infant (from the pleasure of feeding)

INFANCY (from birth to 12 months) - TRUST VS. MISTRUST



The world first heard my cry on the 5th of June year 1990 -- Tuesday. I grew up in  a family where FAITH and LOVE are greatly given importance. My family treated me as a very important child (since I'm the youngest of all my cousins). They responded to my needs immediately making me feel that I was so loved.


+ During this stage, whenever my parents hear me cry, they allow me to drink milk to satisfy my needs. It only means that since I was in the infancy stage, where my "MOUTH" brings me pleasure through feeding, I developed "TRUST" or I learned how to trust other people because my parents gave me what gratifies me and what satisfies me through feeding me.


+ Some children who were deprived during this stage manifests "ORAL FIXATION" when they grow up through: Chewing gums most of the time, Thumb Sucking, Smoking, Eating, Kissing, Oral Sexual Practices (which manifests most during Adolescence).


+Now you're learning. :)


ANAL STAGE - from 15 months-3 years
           - wherein the infant's "bladder and bowel" causes gratification to the child (from the pleasure of bladder and bowel elimination).

TODDLER (from 2-4 years) - AUTONOMY VS. SHAME AND DOUBT

All I can remember is when I was 3 years old, I always woke up with a loaded diaper. I always asked someone (either my uncle or the maid) to remove it every morning since my parents were in work. Everytime I felt like I was gonna poop, I tell an adult to assist me (and wash my butt). I was toilet-trained early and properly so I also learned early how to be on my own whenever I want to pee or poop.

+ During this stage, my mom always assisted and guided me when I eliminate and she never forced me to learn everything in one snap. She let me learn at the right time. It simply means that potty-training plays a very important role during this stage. Parents should be extra careful in training their children during this stage because it will affect their children's behavior when they grow up.

+ Children who experienced a very lax potty-training become Reckless, Defiant, Careless and Disorganized; while children who experienced a very strict potty-training become Obsessive-Compulsive, Very Organized and Neat (which can possibly lead to a personality disorder later on).


+ Focus more on these 2 stages and understand it well. Other stages will be explained later. :)


Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosexual_development
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erikson%27s_stages_of_psychosocial_development

No comments:

Post a Comment